Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The effect of Mobile's Mobilizing the world

How important is a cell-phone to our everyday existence? Ever wondered about it? Well, rather important if you may think a bit about it. A case in point would be the example of last week where i forgot to carry my cell-phone with me to office. By the time i reached home late in the evening, there were about 10 missed calls and 15-16 messages to be responded to. (I may be exaggerating a little, but :P). So this brings us to the pertinent topic at hand. Mobile evolution has revolutionized communications so much that even the most unexpected of people have cell-phones. Imagine my surprise when the other day the vegetable stall owner offered her cell phone number to my mom so that my mom could place orders through that. (Truly astonishing). So, availability of mobile phones with everyone now brings us to the matter of Mobile phone users which I have particularly observed over the past few days. They can be classified into the following categories:

The Sabzi Wali(wala): - The type I have already talked about. :P They are those people whose new found sense of connectivity keeps them on cloud no. 9. Although, they rarely make any calls from their phones themselves :).

The Student: - They are typically youngsters barely in their teens, continuously typing out SMS's. (Speaking doesn't give that pleasure mate :P. And yeah, Messaging is very cheap ;))

The High-Flying Executive: - Investment Bankers, (some) IT professionals, Suave Businessmen fall in this category (I apologize if i have missed out someone). They generally own very expensive PDAs which are used for business purposes too. They carry a very important looking attitude and continuous keep fiddling with their Styluses.

The middle-Class: - They, as their name signifies, have the Middle end cell phones, which they are fiercely protective about. Hell, i even saw a person actually keeping his phone packed inside a plastic cover. He had to remove the cover every time he attended a call :O.

And if u don't fall in any of these categories, then you do fall in my category. :P

One special thing i would like to mention is that, contrary to expectations, its not the Lower-Class or the Students who are poor at cell phone etiquettes. It is mostly the educated Indian class which is so poorly literate about Cell-phone manners that it sometimes makes me cringe. Some of the examples would include keeping the phone in loud ringer mode during important meetings, in cinema halls; speaking loudly in Public spaces causing inconvenience to others. I feel we need to learn manners before we are allowed to carry cell-phones. And a fine be imposed on people behaving irresponsibly with respect to cell-phone etiquettes.

Hope i made some sense :P.

5 comments:

Bonnie Jo Davis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Deepesh said...

Quite different from your previous posts, which is nice...
You might not feel insecure without your wallet for once, but a cellphone..it will pinch you every moment...
At times, when we have nothing to do, many of us just take out our cellphone to see if we missed a message or call, although we know it rings loud enough....:P
Nice one..cheers..

Nishant Burte said...

kya blog likha hai, mere blogger!!
OR
kya blog likha hai, mere blogger??

Seriously Funny said...

@Deepesh
Well, we do keep checking the cellphone... Dunno why we are so restless when it comes to a cell phone.

@Nishant

Stop making Logically inferential statements. I am not doing MTech from an IIT. I am a simple chap :P

Shruti said...

Hmmmm.....I know what you mean!!
When I first came here I had to spend about a month without cellphone for first time since my cell phone life had begun. It was disastrous I tell ya.....dis-ast-rous!!
And I guess it would be the safest to say I fall into your category, which not so surprisingly, you have written very little about! :)