Sunday, June 24, 2007

Through the eyes of the beholder

Have you ever thought what would happen if you had no eyes? Even the little thought about such a thing sends shivers down my spine. Eyes (vision) are among the most neglected parts of our body. (Well, atleast i don't take great care of them). We take them for granted. Do you ever wonder - what if you were blind? What if you had lost your vision? What if you could not see the beautiful colours of the world, all the breathtaking sceneries, the spectacular forests, the colour of the setting sun, the subtle differences between the colours of your clothes, the visual treat which you would be deprived of?

Since watching the video, these questions have continuously haunted me. The innocence with which the children revel in the festival of colors, holi, shows how inspite of being handicapped, we can still enjoy life to the fullest. And, here we are perfectly normal human beings cribbing about our looks, wealth, et al. Instead, we should be extremely thankful to god for bestowing upon us a perfect body with all the organs intact. We need to efficiently and effectively use them to give back something to the society.

In essence, the video has persuaded me to pledge my eyes to an organization so that they can possibly be used to provide vision to someone else. (Wasn't this the objective of the video?) It has also given me the determination to pursue my dreams and work hark to achieve them.

Lastly, the innocence with which the child asks for the colors brought tears to my eyes. (Which doesn't happen very often) Thumbs up to the makers for making a very sensitive and thought provoking film.

3 comments:

Shruti said...

I have seen this video, and it brought tears to my eyes too...It is indeed very touching. And yea I'll join you in the move of pledging eyes to an organisation!

It's true that we sometimes forget how lucky we are, and how much we have compared to some people, while running after worldly pleasures!

Thanks for this post, it reminded me of how lucky I am, and I'm sure it will remind others too :)

Priyanka said...

totally agreed with u... we shud really count our blessings instead of cribbing about small small things in life and realize how fortunate we are as compared to millions of people... and we shud try to contribute in whatever small way we can to make this world a better place.. :)

Aaru Garg said...

Amazing work! This post was really very informative. Find creative Holi wishes to wish your family and friends.