Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My tryst with TT and the lessons it taught me.

About an year back, when i had joined my first job, i developed a keen interest for TT (Ping-pong to some). This was partly because TT tables were available in abundant quantities in the office and I being the work-shirker, loved to while away time playing this game. One of my closest friend also liked playing TT a lot. So, everyday after office, we used to play for about an hour before going home. As we started playing regularly, i realized my 'keen interest' wasn't really translating into performance. I regularly lost to my friend who happened to be a female. Somewhere around this time, i got really frustrated with myself for losing so regularly. A thought entered my mind that I am losing to a girl. The (in)famous male ego was affecting me too. I was horrified. I prided myself to be immune from male chauvinism. But it had roared its ugly head on me too. Consequently, i became petulant and began snapping at her for no obvious fault of hers. Some days later i got involved in my work, and we were unable to continue playing.
A few months went by... My workload reduced and i decided to start playing again. So, i with another project mate of mine began playing. Being rusty, i lost to him comfortably. But this defeat hurt me like hell; even more than the time i played with my friend earlier.

This whole episode taught me a lesson. I was susceptible to losing at anything. It made me cranky and i snarled at everybody and anybody around me. This placed my behavior in the right perspective. I was able to analyze that i am fiercely competitive person who doesn't like losing. A loss made me moody and bitter. It also taught me that i am indeed not a target of male chauvinism.

PS: Did i tell you that my female friend is a college champ at TT :)

3 comments:

shekhar said...

At lest something in common. I learned TT in office only. My roomie in Pune was a district level player in Assam and you bet, he had grrr8 patience to teach me from scratch.

Keep ping-ponging!!

N ATB for your MBA endeavour!

SHEKHAR

Seriously Funny said...

Thanks a lot Shekhar bhai :)

Unknown said...

Practice kar le...then we will play some day...may be u can teach me a trick or too...on how to have a hit at the fairer things

sgx